Prep Time: 10 mins Cook Time: 30 mins Idle Time: 1 hr 10 mins Serves: 4 to 5
- 2 tbsp active dry yeast
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 & 1/3 cup whole wheat flour
- 3 tbsp olive oil or any other oil
- 1 cup lukewarm water
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1 tbsp garlic paste
- 4-5 garlic cloves
- 2 tbsp Nigella seeds
- Butter as per taste
- 4 to 5 tbsp cilantro
- Take the lukewarm water in large bowl
- Add sugar & yeast and let it sit until foamy (about 10-12 mins)
- To the yeast add lukewarm milk, wheat flour, garlic paste, all purpose flour (All but 1/4 cup), oil, salt
- Knead the dough, in case the dough feels too sticky add 1/2 tbsp flour. Dough should not be very dry.
- Coat the bowl with 1 tbsp oil , coat the dough with oil, wrap it with plastic wrap.
- Cover the bowl with clean kitchen towel.
- Leave the dough in a warm place for about 90 mins
- Heat a skillet or heavy bottom pan or preheat the oven to 500 degree Fahrenheit
- Melt the butter and add chopped garlic and set it aside
- Divide the dough in 8-10 equal parts
- Roll each dough into a 6″ or 8″ oval shape (Note: In case you plan to use the oven roll the dough into a thicker oval shape)
- Spread some Nigella seeds on the board and roll the dough gently
- Stove : Place the rolled naan on to the heated skillet, let it cook for 1 or 2 mins or until yeast action shows tiny bubbles all over the naan. Flip the naan using a spatula and keep it on direct gas flame until slightly charred and cooked on other side.
- Oven: Place 2 or 3 (depending on size) rolled naan on hot sheet tray. Bake for 3-4 mins, remove, bush butter, put back in the oven with broiler on for 1-2 mins or until the tops are nicely charred.
- Remove cooked naans with tongs and place the next naan on skillet or oven. Immediately brush butter-garlic on it and spread chopped cilantro.