Prep Time: 20 mins Cook Time: 45 mins Idle Time: 8 hrs Serves: 4 to 5
- 1 cup rajma Or Red Kidney beans (any variety)
- 1 large onion OR 150 grams onions OR about ¾ to 1 cup finely chopped onions
- 3 medium or 2 large tomatoes OR 250 grams tomatoes OR 1 cup finely chopped tomatoes
- 3 to 4 medium garlic + 1 inch ginger + 1 to 2 green chilies crushed to a paste in a mortarpestle OR about 1 tablespoon ginger + garlic + green chili paste.
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder (ask for Dhania powder in Indian Store)
- ¼ to ½ teaspoon red chili powder (ask for Lal Mirch powder)
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder (Haldi powder)
- 1 pinch Asafoetida (Hing)
- Optional ¼ to ½ teaspoon Hot Mixed Species (Garam Masala) powder
- ½ teaspoon cumin seeds (Jeera)
- 1 teaspoon crushed Dry Fenugreek leaves (Kasuri Methi)
- 2 tablespoon butter + 1 tablespoon oil OR 3 tablespoon butter
- 2 to 3 tablespoon cream
- 3.5 to 4 cups water for pressure cooking
- 1.5 to 2 cups of rajma stock (the water which is used to cook the rajma) OR plain water for the gravy or curry
- Salt as required
- Rinse and soak the rajma or kidney beans in enough water overnight or for 8 to 9 hours.
- Next day, discard the water and rinse the beans again in fresh water.
- Take both the rajma and 4 cups water in pressure cooker.
- Pressure cook on a medium to high flame for 15 to 20 minutes.
- When the rajma is cooking, you can chop the onions, tomatoes, coriander
- When the pressure settles down on its own, open the lid,
- Check if the rajma is cooked or not by taking a bite or pressing a bean.
- If they are not cooked completely, then pressure cook again adding some water if required for few minutes.
Rajma Masala (Red Kidney Bean Curry)
- Heat oil + butter in another pot or pan.
- Add cumin first and let them crackle & get browned.
- Then add onions and saute them till they are caramelized or golden brown, take care not to burn them. They need to be light brown in color.
- Keep stirring the onions while sauting
- Add the ginger+garlic+chili paste (as per taste) stir and saute for 5 to 10 seconds on a low flame.
- Add the tomatoes. saute for 15-20 minutes till the tomatoes become soft.
- Add all the spices, turmeric powder, red chili powder, coriander powder, asafoetida / hing and garam masala powder.
- Stir and saute the whole masala mixture till the fat starts leaving the masala.
- Use a slotted spoon or a strainer and remove the beans and add them to the gravy.
- Keep the stock aside.
- Stir and saute for a minute.
- Take 1.5 to 2 cups from the stock and add to the rajma.
- Add salt and stir the whole curry mixture.
- Simmer without a lid for 10-15 minutes or more till the curry thickens slightly ensure its not watery
- Mash a few rajma beans with the spoon,this helps to thicken the curry.
- When the rajma masala has thickened and comes to the right consistency which is neither too thick nor thin, then add Fenugreek and cream.
- Stir & simmer rajma masala for a minute.
- switch off the fire.
- Serve rajma masala with steamed basmati rice or naan
Note: If cooking rajma in a pot or pan: first soak the rajma as usual for 89 hours. drain them and rinse them with fresh water. then in a huge pot, boil enough water first. add the rajma and salt. cook covered for about 45 to 1 hour or more if required. it takes a long time to cook rajma without a pressure cooker.